6.1.15

Tips and Tricks: Ways to Ace a Test

Grades are pretty important to me, and although I sometimes put the "pro" in procrastinator and don't always get a perfect 100, I still manage to do well when it comes to school, specifically tests. So here the top 10 tips for test studying and taking.

 ps. I didn't take the above ^ photo. photo found here.

Time management:

1. Manage your time well. Depending on how important/challenging the test is, begin preparing atleast 2 days before the test (3 is much better, but I understand if you just don't have the time... I've been there.)

Don't study to much (or too little)!

Three days before the test:

2. Depending on the hardness of the test, either...

    make the study guide and follow the "two days before the test" instructions below

                        AND/OR

    read over all class material and notes

Two days before the test:

3. Collect all the information you need. Know whats on the test.

4. Make a study guide.

Remember: the study guide can be in any form! For example: flashcards, written or typed notes, Q&A, even a power point!! 

The study guide should be personalized. For instance: flashcards really help my best friend, yet I learn better with typed notes. Don't copy whatever your friend studies from... YOU choose!

DO NOT spend more time making the study guide than the amount of time you spend studying the study guide!!! I used to do this and all it did was add stress to my afternoons. I would spend over 2 hours making the guide perfect "so I could study from it easily", but then I had less than 30 minutes to actually study!

5. If you have time, read over the study guide a few times just before you go to bed that night.

One day before the test:

6. Read over and memorize as much of the material as possible in about 10 minute intervals. Between those intervals quiz yourself for about 5-6 minutes.

It's ok if you forget the answers at first, just keep trying!

You don't have to study in exactly 10 or 5-6 minute intervals. Do not waste your time calculating the minutes... just study!

Take a 5-7 minute break about every 30-40 minutes. Study by sections/chapter, don't do it all at the same time.

7. This step is extremely effective and I never skip it...

Teach!!! The best way for you to learn your material is to teach it, even if the student is you! I often teach my parents, brothers, or friends. If no one else is around, I find a mirror and teach myself! Remember: just like teachers, you can use your notes as a guide when teaching, yet be careful to not really on them too much!

Day of the test:

8. Get a good night's rest an east a filling and healthy breakfast.

Finally...

9. Don't study to much (or too little). Be careful to not over think when studying or testing! Do not second guess yourself!

10. Here is a photo I found with some great ABC tips for when you are actually taking the test...

above photo ^ found here.


Thanks for reading!

~Anelise